| Home | About | DIY | Recipes | Style |

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Eggplant Recipe, and I love Vegetables

My dear friend Kaylala posted about the fact that she doesn't like to eat vegetables, but that she's trying. In that spirit, I present one of my favorite ways to eat vegetables.

A Really Good Way to Prepare Eggplant

First, break an egg into a small bowl, and add about a fourth of a cup of milk, scramble.

Second, on a dinner plate, sprinkle about a cup of flour.

Third, on another dinner plate, put some bread crumbs.

This step is optional, but if you're really picky (wink wink, elbow elbow) then you might want to peel it. DO NOT be thrown off or disgusted by the fact that the eggplant will quickly begin to become a little grayish.

Cut into circles by slicing along the eggplant. Then, dip the eggplant coins into the flour, then the egg, then the bread crumbs. They should be nice and coated. If you're not careful, your fingers will be too.

In a frying pan with a layer of oil (we like the olive kind) cook each side for about 2-3 minutes. Until the coating is nice and brown.

From here, you can try several different approaches. You could take the fried eggplant and turn it into Eggplant Parmesan. This involves layering the coins and then covering it with spaghetti sauce and cheese, and cooking it for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

We also like to eat the fried eggplant as sort of a chicken patty in sandwich form.

Now, you might say to yourself, "Doesn't frying the eggplant take all the goodness out of it?"

Umm...I don't know. But frying it in olive oil has to be better...right?

In addition to eggplant, I was thinking about all of this, and I realized that I really love vegetables, actually. I was a freaky kid who loved them ever since I can remember. I adore broccoli. It's actually my very favorite. I also like Brussels sprouts, asparagus, green beans, salads, etc. The only vegetable that I really didn't like when I was little was onions. Now, I loved them cooked. I can't say that they're my favorite raw still, but I do still like them. In fact, Nate and I are really looking forward to making a little apartment vegetable garden.

I don't know how my parents did it...but something they did worked. I am addicted to vegetables, and could likely become a vegetarian, if it weren't for the fact that I also love to eat chicken.

1 comment:

  1. That was a very good post Miss Micoe. Eggplant kind of scared me (I think it's the color), but now I think I'll give it a try. Thanks!

    And you're just the sort of person to love vegetables. It jives perfectly with everything I know about you.

    ReplyDelete