| Home | About | DIY | Recipes | Style |

Monday, June 16, 2008

Happy Father's Day!


My dad is fantastic. I know that all of you probably have pretty great dad's too, but my dad is just plain awesome.

For as long as I can remember, he's always been there for me. My dad has been working to provide for our family since our family has existed. While I was in High School, my dad worked a paper route in the morning, and then would come home and run my sister and I to early morning seminary across town, and then he'd get ready for work and head off for an 8 hour day. He'd often come home and do the chores that many of us children had slacked off on--usually with lame excuses about being too busy with school, or being so tired after our long day.

My dad has an awesome sense of humor. Growing up, one of our favorite jokes went something like this:

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Utah.
Utah who?
U-talk too much!

Seriously, it almost never got old.

My dad is the one who introduced me to his "heathen" music. Boston, Chicago, Styx, ELO, Alabama, etc. Sure, it's Nate who really got me finally identifying who's who, but Dad's the one who played the tapes.

I remember some awesome Family Home Evenings with film strips and tape players. I remember Perky the motor boat, and how my dad would usually give in when the three girls wanted to go inner tubing more than we wanted to fish. I remember the classic dad teasing, that never really went too far. I remember Sunday Morning Coffee Cake, and weekday mush, with Peanut Butter Mush sometimes on Fridays. I remember one-eyed sailors and bread circles, and cringing when breakfast was cream of wheat and not oatmeal.

I remember my dad randomly bringing my mom a rose or a couple of roses home from work, just because.

I also remember father's blessings before every school year. I remember somewhat awkward moments before going on a date, but always words of caution and care. I remember my dad doing every calling he's ever gotten to the best of his abilities.

See? My dad really is awesome. And, even with all of us as children, he's got very little gray, and he's still got all his hair. I think it's his sense of humor that helps get him through it. I love you dad!

2 comments:

  1. you forgot this joke:

    What did the fish say when it swam into the cement wall?
    Dam.

    He likes that one too, and it never gets old.

    ReplyDelete