| Home | About | DIY | Recipes | Style |

Friday, November 9, 2007

The Perils of Observation

I'm currently doing observations at a local middle school. This is also possibly the place that I will student teach. I came into class yesterday, and the students were supposed to be giving presentations on the presidents. Their presentations were stored on the main teacher's flash drive...which ended up at home. There wasn't a backup plan.

Result: I basically tap-danced for the kids for 40 minutes while the teacher ran home to get the flash drive. This wouldn't have been all that terrible, if I'd had anything planned or if I'd had some access to some of my materials. However, that didn't happen. Honestly, it was a disaster, and one that I certainly hope to never repeat in my actual career.

Things I've learned:
1. NEVER come to a middle school unprepared.
2. I will have some sort of "in case of emergency" activity in the event that I have to leave someone in a possible lurch.
3. There's a saying that goes something like, "Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part." Sometimes, that's not true.

1 comment:

  1. So true. Never go to any school unprepared! Even if it's a simple game you can play as a group, you got to keep the kids doing something or they'll do things you don't want them to do.

    ReplyDelete