| Home | About | DIY | Recipes | Style |

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Creamy, Dreamy Macaroni and Cheese



I sincerely wish I could remember where I briefly read something about "Risotto-Style" Macaroni and Cheese. Unfortunately, my brain seems to be shot, and so I can't recall for the life of me where it was that I first read about it.  After a couple of google searches, I landed on a recipe that sounded fairly promising here.  I ended up doubling it (we like leftovers) and making a few other modifications and substitutions, and the result was SO delicious.  I have had problems in the past with homemade mac and cheese being cheesy enough, but this totally fit the bill.

2 T Butter
1 small-medium onion, diced
71/2 cups water
4 cubes beef bullion
3 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup half and half
3 T cream cheese
1.5 cups Cheddar Cheese
1.5 T Brown Mustard (or dijon, or some sort)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a large saucepan.  Add in the diced onion and cook until the onion is close to translucent, about 10 minutes.  Add in the pasta and stir around a little bit.  Add in the water and the bullion cubes (or 7 1/2 cups of the broth of your choice).  Bring to a boil, lower the heat to the lower end of medium, and allow to lightly boil (a little more than simmer) uncovered for 20 minutes.  Once the liquid is absorbed so that only about 1/4th of it remains, add in the half and half, and allow to simmer for another 6 minutes or so, until the sauce begins to thicken.  Then, add in everything else, stir until it's all melted and delicious, and allow it to sit for about 3-5 minutes before serving.


2 comments:

  1. I have been eating this stuff like crazy. So delcious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad! We've made it once since I posted it, and I was definitely not sad about eating it for lunch for about 3 days afterwards.

    ReplyDelete