| Home | About | DIY | Recipes | Style |

Saturday, May 30, 2009

It's the End of the Year as We Know It.

Well, at least if you're in school/teaching school.

Friday was my last day as a teacher at Lone Peak. As the day started out, I was feeling just content. As I finished cleaning out my classroom and getting the files I wanted off the computer, I just felt like I had done a pretty good job of teaching, but I was ready to head out on to some other adventure.

Then, when it actually came time to walk out of the school forever, I felt like crying.

Not because I didn't do a good job, and I was suddenly overwhelmed with regrets, but because I wasn't going to be a physics teacher anymore. I mean, I might get a job in Pennsylvania, but there might not be a job for me to get. Leaving something that I'd become comfortable with for some great unknown suddenly was quite overwhelming, and a little bit sad.

Today, I'm not so sad. I'm proud of myself for actually enjoying my first year of teaching. All I heard in college was how awful the first year is, and how you just have to get through it. I think I did better than just surviving it (at least most days :).

Also, on the way home, I remembered that I'm teaching summer school this summer. That starts on Monday. I guess I just don't have time to really miss it yet. Maybe I'll feel sad again in the fall without my bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils. Maybe I'll be too excited about our move to Pennsylvania to be really sad about it. I guess if I really feel sad, I can always go out and buy some school supplies to console myself. I sure do love those pencils and post-it notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment